We’re looking for an intern!
Are you a meticulous self-starter with a passion for book publishing?
Do you understand the need for the Oxford comma and the difference between lay and laid?
GREAT! We have an exciting opportunity with growth potential for the right intern looking to start a career in book publishing.
REMOTE WORK • THREE MONTHS • PART TIME • $COMMISSION ONLY
- Act as a point of contact between authors and the editorial department.
- Assist in the client-acquisition process by approaching potential clients and doing research on social media and third-party websites.
- Evaluate and write reports on manuscripts for a wide variety of books, including nonfiction and fiction.
- Copy edit and proofread; and edit select manuscripts under supervision.
- Create and maintain a low-key social media presence.
- Contribute to grow and implement marketing strategy.
What We Need From You:
- Ability to learn quickly, multitask, meet deadlines, and take charge (independence is key).
- Attention to detail, with an appreciation for the bigger picture.
- An attentive and insightful reader.
- A clear and persuasive writer and meticulous editor.
- Familiarity with all the usual apps and software: Microsoft Word, Canva, Adobe Acrobat, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and (nice to have) Indesign.
- A strong interest in publishing and a passion for reading.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Your sales game (and general communication style) needs to be confident.
- Experience editing manuscripts is an advantage.
- Marketing savvy. We need your ideas!
This job will be what you make of it. Hours per week are flexible, as are your daily tasks. We’re looking for someone to help us grow, so the more you can contribute to building and executing the marketing strategy, attract new clients, and prove your editing chops, the more we’ll need you and the more likely this could turn into a long-term, paid contract.
To apply, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Please include your education, experience, availability, long-term goals, and why you think you’d be a great fit for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and they will have to complete an editing test.